Friday, December 24, 2010

Merry Christmas

Every year my family gather at midnight on Christmas Eve to read from a small, tattered, blue book titled Little Town of Bethlehem by Hertha Pauli. It tells the story of Mary and Joseph's journey to Bethlehem .

My father bought the book some 47 years ago to read to us. For years my mom and dad took turns reading until me, my brothers and sister became old enough then each of us in turn had the honor of reading from the book. Because I am the oldest I was the first child to read. Mom and Dad are gone but the tradition continues. The next generation is now reading continuing the tradition.

My favorite part of the book is the last passage perhaps because it emphasis the power of the story teller in every culture and religion. So I leave you with this from the little, tattered blue book.:

When the shepherds returned from Bethlehem, they told everyone what they had seen in the stable. And all who heard it marveled at their story. It has been told and retold every since.

May the peace and joy of Christmas be with you and yours always.

No comments: